Whether you're buying a home, selling your home or relocating to Nashville, Brentwood, Franklin, Spring Hill or the surrounding counties of Sumner, Rutherford and Maury, the following information, resources and tools will help to guide your decision.
A quick and easy way to find useful information about your community, nearby schools and local businesses.
Nashville is the largest metropolitan area in the central South. The Nashville Economic Market comprises 10 counties - Cheatham, Davidson, Dickson, Maury, Montgomery, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson, Wilson - and more than 1.5 million in population.
Nashville's economy is uniquely diverse and mirrors that of the national economy. The area benefits from low unemployment, consistent job growth, substantial outside investment and expansion, and a well-trained, growing labor force.
The following links provide you with detailed information about the Nashville Economic Market's population, age, income, education, growth and labor force.
As the "home of country music", Nashville has become a major music recording and production center. All of the Big Four record labels, as well as numerous independent labels, have offices in Nashville, mostly in the Music Row area. Since the 1960s, Nashville has been the second biggest music production center (after New York) in the U.S. As of 2006, Nashville's music industry is estimated to have a total economic impact of $6.4 billion a year and to contribute 19,000 jobs to the Nashville area.
Although Nashville is renowned as a music recording center and tourist destination, its largest industry is actually health care. Nashville is home to more than 250 health care companies, including Hospital Corporation of America, the largest private operator of hospitals in the world. As of 2006, it is estimated that the health care industry contributes $18.3 billion a year and 94,000 jobs to the Nashville-area economy. The automotive industry is also becoming increasingly important for the entire Middle Tennessee region. Nissan North America moved its corporate headquarters in 2006 from Gardena, California (Los Angeles County) to Nashville, with corporate headquarters temporarily located in the BellSouth Tower until 2008, when the Japanese auto maker will establish permanent headquarters in the Nashville suburb of Franklin, Tennessee. Nissan also has its largest North American manufacturing plant in Smyrna, Tennessee, a Nashville suburb.
Other major industries in Nashville include insurance, finance, and publishing (especially religious publishing). The city also hosts headquarters operations for several Protestant denominations, including the United Methodist Church, Southern Baptist Convention, and National Baptist Convention, USA.
Nashville also has a small but growing film industry. Several major motion pictures have been filmed in Nashville, including The Green Mile, The Last Castle, Gummo, Coal Miner's Daughter, and Robert Altman's Nashville.
Fortune 500 Companies
HCA Inc. (formerly Hospital Corporation of America)
Dollar General Corporation (in Goodlettsville, TN)
Other important Companies - Companies based in Nashville with over $1 Billion in Annual Revenue
Bridgestone Americas Holding (Bridgestone-Firestone)
CBRL Group (in Lebanon, Tennessee)
Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation (finance arm of Caterpillar Inc.)
Central Parking Corporation
Community Health Systems Inc. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
Corrections Corporation of America
Delek US Holdings, Inc (in Franklin, Tennessee)
Iasis Healthcare LLC (in Franklin, Tennessee)
Ingram Industries Inc.
LifePoint Hospitals Inc. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
Nissan North America Inc. (as of summer 2006)
Tractor Supply Co. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
Vanguard Health Systems Inc.
The Nashville Economic Market is home to a world-class workforce. Business and industry across a wide range of fields succeeds because of the Nashville Region's workforce skills, training facilities, work ethic, supply of workers, and favorable work conditions.
The following links provide important information about workforce, occupational patterns, employment trends, wage and salary ranges, union activity and labor force growth in the Nashville Economic Market.
Abundant Supply of Workforce
High School Graduates and Non-Graduating Seniors 3,498
Estimated College/University Graduates (2-to-4-year degree) or Non-Graduating Seniors 6,000
Estimated In-Migration from Outside the Nashville Area 15,570
Total Available New Workers 25,248
Retiring Workers -4,410
Estimated Net Increase in Workforce 20,838
In addition to having one of the nation's lowest overall tax burdens, the Nashville area provides impressive incentives to relocating businesses.
Partnership 2010 can help your business get an exceptional incentives package that meets your individual needs.
Learn more about the area's local incentives, Tennessee's state incentives and Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) incentives by visiting the different links in this section.
Click here to get the 2006 incentives offered by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and the State of Tennessee.
The Nashville region is home to a number of major business players in various target industries, including Louisiana-Pacific, Caremark, Dell, HCA, Nissan and Big Idea Productions.
Over the last 10 years, the Nashville area has experienced tremendous growth in every sector of the economy.
The following information provides details on our target industries including automotive, corporate headquarters, manufacturing, technology, distribution/warehouse, health care and call centers
Click here to find a list of Nashville's largest employers.
Click here for information about monthly economic indicators in the Nashville area
Top 25 Employers within the Nashville Economic Market
ID Employer Employees Local Description Address City
1. State of Tennessee 20,029 Government services and information 505 Deaderick St. Nashville
2. Vanderbilt University and Medical Center 17,158 Teaching, patient care, research and public service 2201 West End Ave. Nashville
3. U.S. Government 11,146 Government services and information 909 8th Ave. North Nashville
4. Metro Nashville-Davidson Co. Public Schools 10,000 City/county school district 2601 Bransford Ave. Nashville
5. HCA 8,742 Hospital management company One Park Plaza Nashville
6. Nissan North America Inc. 8,100 Small truck, car & SUV manufacturing 983 Nissan Drive Smyrna
7. St. Thomas Health Services 6,300 Inpatient, outpatient and clinic-based acute health care 618 Church Street Nashville
8. Saturn Corporation 5,800 Manufactures automobiles 100 Saturn Parkway Spring Hill
9. Bridgestone Americas Holding Inc. 4,900 Tires, tubes, air springs, roofing materials, rubber, etc. 535 Marriott Drive Nashville
10. Gaylord Entertainment Co. 4,150 Specialty lodging and entertainment organization One Gaylord Drive Nashville
11. Sumner County Government and Public Schools 4,088 Public services and education 355 N. Belvedere Drive Gallatin
12. CBRL Group Inc. 3,350 Holding co. for Cracker Barrel & Logan's Roadhouse 305 Hartmann Drive Lebanon
13. Electrolux Home Products 3,300 Manufactures electric & gas ranges 1100 Industrial Dr Springfield
14. Williamson Co. Government and Public Schools 3,214 Public services and education 1320 West Main Street Franklin
15. YMCA of Middle Tennessee 3,100 Health and wellness services and programs 814 Church Street Nashville
16. Ingram Industries Inc. 3,081 Wholesale book distributor, marine, construction One Belle Meade Place Nashville
17. Century II Staffing 3,000 Benefits administration, risk management, training, etc. 155 Franklin Rd. Franklin
18. The Kroger Company 2,649 Groceries 2620 Elm Hill Pike Nashville
19. Rutherford Co. Board of Education and Co. Govt. 2,597 Public services and education Rutherford Co. Courthouse Murfreesboro
20. United Parcel Service (UPS) 2,500 Distribution center for commercial delivery service 3205 Whites Creek Pike Nashville
21. BellSouth Inc. 2,388 Local/long distance, Internet, wireless, etc. 333 Commerce Street Nashville
22. Randstad Work Solutions 2,230 Office, industrial, creative, tech. and pro. Staffing 2000 Mallory Lane Franklin
23. Middle Tennessee State University 1,936 Higher education 1301 East Main Street Murfreesboro
24. Asurion 1,750 Provider of services for the wireless com. industry 648 Grassmere Park Dr. Nashville
25. Ford Motor Credit 1,700 Consumer automotive financing 9009 Carothers Pkwy Franklin